"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Paying It Forward

“Faith is about doing. You are how you act, not just how you believe.” ~ Mitch Albom

This month marks the last time I send money to my scholar Jo, the daughter of the loyal domestic helper of my late uncle. She doesn't graduate till March but it is with much pride and joy that I let you know that she's already gainfully employed and that she now shoulders the financial responsibility of taking care of her aging parents and her older brother who has Down Syndrome.

When I was home last week during Lunar New Year, my Mama and I had a discussion about our hard-working domestic helper Riz. For the past few years she's been going to school part-time to get her high school diploma and had just recently graduated. We're now encouraging her to look into college while continuing to work for us. We have another helper Bebs who is already a high school graduate who is keen to pursue a degree too. So we had talked to them both that we'll start with Riz going to college part-time and after a couple of years, Bebs can do the same, all while working for us at home. This way, when they leave our employ, they can go find better jobs and earn more money. Become independent and self-sufficient.

The biggest thrill for me is telling them that they can choose whatever course they are interested to take. I want them to spend their life doing what they love to do. I don't necessarily know what that is, but I want them to give it some serious thought, to take responsibility for their future and their happiness. You should meet them - they are both so deserving.

I am so excited about this project! I can't believe we didn't think of this before.

Well, that's not true. I know exactly why we didn't think of this before. It's because Aslan had to prepare us for this work. He had to make us ready. He needed to let us get used to sending Jo to school first. Now that that is done, we have been weaned for this work, grown accustomed to it. Our eyes opened to this opportunity. Our hearts now encouraged to do more.

Never a wasted movement with Aslan, indeed.

(Photo credit: Eyes on...)

No comments:

Blog Archive