"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mayang's Word for 2011 is TRUST


"We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone - but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy." ~ Walter Anderson

Last month before I went off on my Yuletide holiday, I had read an online article about ushering in a new year with a word. No huge self-defeating resolution or a laundry list of the changes and improvements you want to do in your life, just one word.

I thought it was a good idea and played around with the word believe. I eventually settled on trust. Partly because I have it but would be better off with more of it. Also because believe is trust's prerequisite. When you trust, you need to believe first. It's a given. I like that it's a given.

I choose the word trust because even if I have a grasp of what it means and have had some experience of it, there is this God who loves me who asks me to trust Him. "Trust in me," Jesus says in John 14:1.

And I do. I trust God. I trust God with me and everyone I love. It's not a perfect trust. It is swayed by my emotions at times or rattled by my fears. Like my faith, it is a mustard seed. But it exists.

I choose trust also because it holds a lot of water for me. It is a word that is deep with meaning. If you know me, you know how much I value and appreciate trust. And you know that when I give you my trust, you have it. It is my honor to give it to you. I am honored that you would give me the same. And in that sacred space, you are safe. I am safe. Sometimes in that space, there is joy. Sometimes, sadness. But always, there is love.

Trust.

No comments:

Blog Archive