"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Friday, November 19, 2010

Did You Feel It?

Did you feel me praying for you?

As part of my ritual, I pray while I set up the Christmas tree, which I did tonight. I especially remember and pray for my former flatmates with whom I shared this tree that I lug out of the store room every year. I let my mind fill with memories of these friends, most of whom I'm still in touch with.

I prayed for myself too. For His will in my life.

I prayed my thanks for another day to love and honor my parents who celebrated their 46th wedding anniversary yesterday. I thanked God that today they are well and healthy and chugging along.

This past week, I called them on the phone a little more often than usual. Not only do I miss them - their singular presence and both of them together - but I like them. Truly I do. They are people I like. People I'd spend time with, even if they weren't my folks.

You know how you meet people over coffee? I do that with Mama and Papa. We go to a coffeeshop where inevitably someone recognizes Papa, and I have to go and introduce myself because I know Papa wouldn't be able to recall their names. It's an easy segue that works because it 'saves face.' Saves him embarrassment. Mind you though, my Pa is adorable too when he's on his own and can't recall a person's name. He's humble enough to admit he doesn't remember, and he'll say it in a joking manner so as not to make the other person feel unimportant. It's sweet when he does it. Two of the best things about my Papa that I love are his people skills and the way he tells a story. (I know, I am biased. What can I say? My Pa is the man with whom I measure every other man.)

So, back to the Christmas tree ritual, I guess I just wanted to say that I prayed.

And given my spate of loneliness of late, I found myself praying for two things: That God dispose of me in the way He chooses - whatever that is, Lord. However that looks. Ok ako. Basta Ikaw. (I'm ok, as long as it's You. Whatever You want.) And I prayed thanks for my parents' marriage. It is the most authentic one I know, and I am blessed to witness it. Even to just witness it, I am grateful.


(Photo credit: Funche)

4 comments:

bluggerbug said...

Belated happy anniversary to the parentals!

Mayang said...

Will let them know, Bluggerbug! XOX Belated happy Thanksgiving!

Mayang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colleen said...

That was so nice. I really love reading your blogs.



Seattle Real Estate

Blog Archive