"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Urdhva Dhanurasana

"If I'm losing balance in a pose, I stretch higher and God reaches down to steady me. It works every time, and not just in yoga." ~ Terri Guillemets

This is one of my favorite yoga poses. The title of this post is its name in Sanskrit. In English it's called the wheel pose.

Another favorite of mine is Dhanurasana or the bow pose. When I was more of a yogi than I am now (ahem), I would love it when we would do the bow pose then rock side to side on our tummy until we balance on one side of our body, then we'd rock again and balance on the other side. I really enjoy that. It was like toddler gym. Happy-happy.

Interestingly, these two poses are part of a set in the yoga tradition that is focused on only one intention: the opening of your heart. Maybe that's why I like these poses. They allow me to physically manifest my spiritual intention. Proving once again that God wastes not a moment. Maybe our lives really are a prayer - not just in the whispered supplication, but in every act that we do, every sigh that comes out of us - we pray.

(Photo credit: Ann Waddell)

No comments:

Blog Archive