"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Lauds

I love waking up before the sun rises. Waiting for it to show itself. Knowing that it will.

But you know what I love even more than that? A hymn to pray with, a song to welcome the day ahead. And this hymn was the anthem of my first year here in Singapore. That trying, life-changing, heart-wrenching, through-the-fire journeying year. It just popped into my head just now. Imagine that.

I rest my heart in His relentless love today.

He leadeth me, O blessed thought!
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught!
Whate’er I do, where’er I be
Still ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me.

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful foll’wer I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes ’mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, o’er troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.

~ Joseph H. Gilmore

No comments:

Blog Archive