"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Thursday, September 02, 2010

God Got A Dog




















He never meant to.
He liked dogs, He'd
liked them ever since He was a kid,
but He didn't think
He had time for a dog now.
He was always working
and dogs needed so
much attention.
God didn't know if He
could take being needed
by one more thing.
But He saw this dog
out by the tracks
and it was hungry
and cold
and lonely
and God realized
He'd made that dog
somehow,
somehow He was responsible
though He knew logically
that He had only set the
world on its course.
He couldn't be blamed
for everything
But He saw this dog
and He felt bad
so He took it on home
and named it Ernie
and now God
has somebody
keeping His feet warm at night.

~ Cynthia Rylant


Oh to be at His feet at night. To keep Him company. I so love this poem. I know how it feels to be Ernie. And it moves me so that God would feel so much for me that He would take me home.

(Photo credit: -Darin-)

2 comments:

benjiedlp said...

Love, love, love Cynthia Rylant's poems.

Sarah Allen said...

This is one of my favorite poems of all time :)

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Blog Archive