"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

God's Giddy Love



".... God loves a cheerful giver." ~ 2 Corinthians 9:7

There are many ways we can show God we love Him. My heart's intention is to do that through cheerful giving.

I don't always get there though.

There have been times when He had to constantly remind me of my intention. He'll send someone my way, then a thought will pop into my head. Something along the lines of "What if I could send her to school so she can help her parents and her brother who has Down Syndrome?"

Be careful what you think of! God will use your thoughts and intentions to do His work, believe you me.

Aslan was relentless with the reminders. I couldn't get this girl off my mind. She didn't ask for my help, by the way. I merely had this notion and for weeks couldn't figure out why I kept thinking of her when it wasn't as if I had spare cash lying around. (As you know, things are always tight in Mayangland - be it finances or clothes I used to fit into!)

So, begrudgingly I relented. I made a commitment. I gave up resisting Aslan. (Me thinks He likes it when we think He's irresistible.)

Does that make me a cheerful giver? I don't think so. I would like to think He wants me to practice giving though. What did Mother Teresa say? "Give till it hurts." And one day, we realize that it doesn't hurt anymore. And somewhere in that journey, joy sets in. Joy surprises you.

I guess wanting to be a cheerful giver is saying to God "Use me." I guess wanting to give cheerfully is a desire to be more like Him. I can't imagine that He's not a cheerful giver. It is His joy to bless us. And I'd like to think He is giddy when we say we want to be part of His plan.

(Photo credit: carf)

No comments:

Blog Archive