"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Central Park


Zippy, his wife V. and their two kids took me to Central Park today. And to Shake Shack for burgers!

It was a pleasant day, not too hot and not humid or muggy at all.

Given that we were with Teocakes and Lunalicious, we spent a good part of the time at the park in playgrounds. It was relaxing just to sit there and watch them with their parents. There was a moment that I missed having my ipod with me, but for the most part, I was ok with just listening to the sounds around me. I liked not thinking or worrying or planning. Just being.

Zippy thought I was bored, and I guess there were moments when I was, but that didn't mean I didn't enjoy myself. The one group of friends I have with whom I like being around their young kids are the geeks. They always are kind enough to make time for me, and trust me enough to be the godmother of their children. I mean, I may not want kids (and that's only because I don't have a significant other), but I would take the responsibility of raising their kids if need be. There are many things I am not, but I like to think I am a woman of my word, someone you can trust with the things that matter. Like your children.

Between you and me, I enjoy watching Zippy's family interact with each other. The kids don't necessarily warm up to me, really, but that's ok. This is Zippy's family. That is enough. That is more than enough.

I've said before that there are people who feel like home to me, and this family does. They do get short-changed with me because I am so at home with them that I border on silence and pensiveness. I am not on. I wonder if my friends with whom I am at home with feel like they're not getting what on TV we would call, my prime time. I wonder about that a lot lately.

(Photo credit: Ed Yourdon)

No comments:

Blog Archive