"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Better Than a Hallelujah

I 'stumbled' upon this song online while looking for music to accompany my quiet time with Aslan this sun-sunny morning in New York.

Give it a listen. I find that that's where I am lately. I have lost my words. I can't find them, They escape me. And truth be told, there are times they find me, they come rushing at me, but it is I who run away from them. I play hide and seek with them. Gosh, that's new. Even for me, that's new.

Which is why I always get a little choked up by these thoughtful surprises from Aslan. Like me finding this song. My quiet time has been off lately. I have a tough time telling my mind to stop thinking. I say a quick prayer and go on with my day, the day He blessed me with.

I like this song when it says "God only hears a melody." So our prayer can be a deep wordless sigh. You can whisper one word so softly that it seems as if only you can hear it. Or you can lead a rousing sermon-long prayer. It doesn't matter. They are all eloquent to Him.

And all are prayers to Him. Words really are unnecessary. Our tears, our sighs, our breath, our walk, our hugs. Everything we are and everything we do - they are part of the conversation we have with Him. All are prayers. Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

And you know what kills me? Is that He gets it still. With each other, we usually need to put it in words and hope for the best that we explain it well enough to reach understanding, and if you're lucky, empathy. But with Aslan, all those aren't required. He knows.

What blessed assurance that is to me today. He knows.

No comments:

Blog Archive