"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Priceless Gift of Attention

"The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention." ~ Richard Moss

I strive to be the kind of person who listens. On good days, I actually think I pass muster on that front.

But it has been brought to my attention that I don't necessarily do that, although that was my intention. That I tend to interject the conversation with my viewpoint, or flippantly offer up a solution or maybe even dismissively balm over what the person's saying or going through. I realize that, even though I meant well, I was of no help to the other.

You can't imagine how that pains me.

But it's good to know the truth.

So I'm learning to listen, really listen. To just shut up and listen and not say anything.

You know, the only thing I want God to say to me when I go is that I was kind. I pray He helps me listen, because that too is kindness, I feel.

No comments:

Blog Archive