"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Friday, May 07, 2010

Baby Love

Joy is holding a seven-hour old baby boy in your arms.

Yesterday, my friend J and his wife S welcomed the arrival of their second child and first son, Sebastian. I sent an sms to the proud father and he asked that I be his son's godmother.

I was greatly touched by the gesture and immediately replied that yes, I accept.

I wonder if he knows how seriously I take that role. I ponder too on why they thought of me as being suitable to be Sean's godmother. I'm not particularly that close to them. Well, at least not as close as you would think. I mean, I'm good friends with J whom I have had the great privilege of singing with in my previous chorale and by association, his wife S. We get along swimmingly and they are really good, faithful people and a lovely family. I too adore their daughter as well as Jules who takes care of them all.

Suffice it to say that I was really moved by the invitation.

I held Sean for the first time last night in the hospital and I was just struck with awe at the newness of him, the wonder of his presence. The gift of his life. And I didn't want the moment to pass without writing about it. I pray for this soul, beloved and precious from the start. I pray for this family, blessed with the love of one another. I pray in thanksgiving that they've chosen me to be part of their lovely circle. May 6, 2010. What an extra blessed day you are.

No comments: