"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Happiness Is

"Happiness is what happens to us when we try to make someone else happy." ~ Paolo Rodriguez

I stayed home yesterday nursing a flu that developed when I was caught in torrential rain last Saturday while walking through a reservoir with a friend. All day long yesterday, I toggled from surfing online to watching TV, from reading to sleeping then eating.

During one of my shifts to TV watching, I caught up on Oprah and in this show she had as her guest a nine-year-old boy, Aaron who lost his twin brother to cancer. In his grief, Aaron had turned to baking cookies and found he had a passion for it. Soonafter, he was selling his cookies and donating part of the profit to the charities that helped finance his brother's hospital stays. Oprah asked him who his favorite cook was and he told her it was this Polly person and out this Polly person came! And you should have seen the look on Aaron's face! He couldn't believe his eyes! She came over with a plate of cookies and gave him a long, lingering bear hug.

And I teared up, because I long to provide that kind of unexpected joy to others. It is the one thing that brings me the most joy in my life. You see that quote above that sports this entry? That's from my friend Paolo. I couldn't agree more. And that's the vision I have for my grace-drenched life.

Please pray with me that I fulfill this vision.

(Photo credit: carf)

No comments:

Blog Archive