"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Friday, April 30, 2010

God's Call

"God does not call the qualified — He makes qualified those whom He calls." ~ Fr. Bobby Titco

I have, through the years, served in various church choirs. And in the hills, valleys and plains of my choosing to be active in these groups, I go through a lot of internal changes in how I see the group, and my role in it.

When I am tired - and believe you me, I get there too often than I care to admit - I wish to God that I'm a member, a follower, not a leader of sorts. When I join, I do so hoping to be a part of something bigger than myself, but I hardly ever aspire to lead a group, in any capacity. I always feel that my strength is in supporting others, not necessarily leading them in any way.

And yet, if I am to be honest with myself, I look back at all the groups I've been a part of - my high school class, my college org, the choirs I've been a part of, and most of them have in one way or another, compelled me to lead.

Which is why the quote that sports this entry struck a chord with me. I realize I am never at first willing to do anything or wholly prepared to take on the challenges, but gingerly, God coaxes me, not towards where I want to go but where She feels I would be of use to Her. You know when Moses kept asking God why choose him to lead the Israelites out of Egypt? I understand his hesitancy, and to a great degree, his confusion.

I don't know if I've ever shared with you my life's mission statement, but it is this:

My life's mission is to please God's heart.
To live so that others can breathe easier because I have lived.
To love purposefully and deliberately - with intention, attention and ACTION.


I guess, if you love Him, you will want to please Him. And so I try to be still enough and quiet enough to listen to how He wants me to do just that. And I think He does that to us all. To you and me. He equips us for the work. He asks us to trust Him. He consoles us that He will not leave nor forsake us.

If you feel Him leading you in any way, give it a ponder. I may have bouts of tiredness and frustration from time to time, but they don't come close to the joy and grace that I've experienced in these groups, in the choices that I've made, in the path on which He has led me.

He will make you qualified. He will, promise.

No comments:

Blog Archive