"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Greeting Card from a Mother to her Daughter

It is no secret that my blogging friends have mostly been eaten up by Facebook. I am tonight awash with sadness at not being able to peek into their lives and their heads and hearts. But it is what it is.

I have this friend in DC who keeps a blog too. She's a wonderful writer which makes reading her blog even more of a pleasure and a sublime treat for me. She doesn't write often enough so I meandered through her old entries searching for.. well, I don't know what I was searching for, really. Some kind of cosmic connection, maybe. An entry I can lose myself in, I guess.

One of her entries had her writing down the words of the greeting card her mom sent her on her birthday. It was a list of reminders, nuggets of motherly wisdom that every daughter needs to hear every now and then, I reckon.

And as I was reading it, I choked up a bit, and tears began to sting my eyes when I got to the part where it said If you ever get lost, don't worry. The people who love you will find you. Count on it. What comfort those words give to this heart of mine. The people who love you will find you. No matter how much of a hide-and-seek player I am at heart, they will find me. I can count on it.

Dearest Daughter,

Love yourself.

MAKE PEACE with who you are and where you are at this moment in time.

Listen to your heart.

If you can’t hear what it’s saying

in this noisy world, MAKE TIME for yourself.

Enjoy your own company. Let your mind wander among the stars.

Try. Take chances.

MAKE MISTAKES.

Life can be messy and confusing at times,

but it’s also full of surprises.

The next rock in your path might be a stepping stone.

Be happy. When you don’t have what you want, want what you have.

MAKE DO. That’s a well-kept secret of contentment.

There aren’t any shortcuts to tomorrow.

You have to MAKE YOUR OWN WAY.

To know where you’re going is only part of it.

You need to know where you’ve been too.

And if you ever get lost, don’t worry.

The people who love you will find you. Count on it.

Life isn’t days or years. It’s what you do with time

and with all the goodness and grace that’s inside you.

MAKE A BEAUTIFUL LIFE…the kind of life you deserve.

Love always, Mom

2 comments:

bluggerbug said...

I managed to post one after keeping it stagnant for months on end. And that's before I read this post!

Thanks for posting that Dear Daughter bit. Love it!

Mayang said...

I just read it! Joy, joy, joy!! Thanks so much for keeping your blog alive!

Blog Archive