"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Saturday, December 05, 2009

Lupang Hinirang

I find myself lately watching this on repeat mode.

We have such a beautiful national anthem. And on this day, amidst the dark season of my country, I wonder if I'm the only one who weeps when I listen to it.

"Lupang hinirang" means "chosen land." And though I've been away for 16 years, the Philippines remains the land of my heart. I choose it still. And I weep over its hardships, both natural and man-made. And I vow to do what I can, even just in small, seemingly insignificant ways, to ease its pain. To help my countrymen.

My heart goes out to my homeland. I start my day praying for it in tears believing that prayer is the strength of men and the weakness of God.

Pray with me. And do what you can. No gesture is ever too small.

(Photo credit: vxAlexei)

No comments: