"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, November 15, 2009

All Set!

Given that I only have a month till I go home for Christmas, I set up the tree just now so I can savor my Christmas tree for a while before my trip.

Those of you who've been visiting this blog for a while know how I get to thinking and praying and contemplating while I go through my annual set-up-the-tree ritual. Tonight was no different. I highly recommend rituals. They are soothing, comforting and a rite of passage of sorts. It also marks days of significance. For me, this solitary ritual signifies the start of the Yuletide. I know, I know, that's one long Yuletide season. If one day works for you, happy for you. Clearly, mine needs quite a number. So I start today.

It's not so much that when the tree is up, I feel the Christmas spirit all-day everyday. I do get back into the groove of the usual routine, sure. But setting up the tree and sprucing up the flat sets up those opportunities to welcome the fuzzy feelings. Presents you with a proper Christmas frame of mind and heart. I can't begin to tell you how comforting it is after a tough and sometimes terribly unmotivated day at work to come home to this! I find myself just gazing at this tree and all my tiredness melts away. I am transported to where I can only think of the hearts I love and adore and how Christ has blessed me with these hearts, and I'm in a good place again.

Even just for that, I highly recommend your own Christmas ritual if you don't have one yet. If you had one and stopped, think about starting a new ritual. And if you already have one, go and savor it. Your life is now. Don't waste it.

(Photo credit: galadarling)

No comments:

Blog Archive