"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Jimbaran Bay, Bali


7 September 2009

Four Seasons Jimbaran, Bali, Indonesia

It's the second morning in paradise. Woke up to the sound of water in the plunge pool outside our villa.

There's a ritual I've unconsciously developed through the years every time I find myself near the beach. This is something I've done since I was a teenager. I remember the first time I did this and I had somehow decided to do this every time.

I take my morning quiet time to the beach. I walk with Aslan and pour out my heart - sometimes with words, a lot of times with wordless sighs. Often, with tears.

Yesterday was no different. I went down to the beach here at Jimbaran Bay and walked almost the length of it as the waves came crashing in. I was surrounded by one of my favorite kind of people: morning folks. Humans taking their canines for a walk on the beach, playing fetch into the water. Joggers and local folks out and about on a sunny Sunday morning. Kids being kids with not a worry, playing in the sand and just being in the moment. A group of Balinese kids learning karate on the beach. A lot of smiles all around. Morning people like saying good morning. Not necessarily in that shrill and jarring, in-your-face, volume-up kind of way. A simple nod, a whisper of a smile - just an acknowledgement that I see you, I wish you well, nice bumping into you on this beach.

I love, love, love every time I find myself on these walks. It is a coming home.

I love meeting the waves and getting my feet dragged to the water when the waves return to the ocean.

If the smell of heaven is coffee, then the rolling waves of the ocean is it's sound.

I love just the mere sound of the waves. It really is the sound of heaven to me. Soothing and deep. It touches me in a way I can't explain in words. It is life, beckoning me, telling me not to be afraid. Wooing me into its arms.

I love my morning talks with Aslan but a morning walk with Him is a precious gift. I am oh so very grateful for these four days in Bali. In a posh resort, nonetheless! For free! He is not just lavish and extravagant in His love. He is ferocious and frivolous! And in the evenings, He sends the full moon too, its globe golden and bright. My own personal experience of Exodus 13: 21.

Today's reflection is of course no accident too. Orchestrated by God who sent me to this gorgeous island and made sure it was in this setting I get to read this so I can savor it and listen to what He has to say. Allow me to share it with you. It is on unanswered prayers.

"Faith has been described as 'trusting God's heart and trusting God's power.' Some prayers that seem to go unanswered are simply instances in which God has lovingly overruled our wishes. He knows that what we have asked for is not best. Or it may be that our timing is not His timing, or He has some far greater purpose in mind. Let us remember, even Jesus prayed to His heavenly Father, 'Nevertheless, not My will, but Yours.'"

Not my will, but Yours.

See You at the beach in five, Lord!

(Photo credit: Kelvin Ong)

2 comments:

Babs said...

wow, super ganda diyan! :) enjoy your stay mayang... ingat.

bluggerbug said...

"If the smell of heaven is coffee, then the rolling waves of the ocean is it's sound." Indeed.

Lovely post, Tats! Glad you had a mini-break. :)

Blog Archive