"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rich Beyond All Telling


"He is rich or poor according to what he is, not according to what he has." ~ Henry Ward Beecher

I was just pondering on the wonder of my family and friends during my quiet time this morning. We're now winding down August and in a week, it is September when we - especially if you're Filipino - start counting down to the Yuletide. And I couldn't help but think about how many new friends I've been blessed with just these past 12 months. And how Aslan is teaching me to open my heart.

I must qualify too that I do include in the loose interpretation of 'new friends' those old acquaintances who've become closer to me this past year. They feel like new friends because we've taken our friendship to a whole new level of trust. I ponder these and I am at awe. It is like a big bear hug. Sometimes, when God plants, it takes a long while to flower. I am blessed to see some of these friendships blossom in this season.

This morning though, I am especially grateful for the new friends who've come into my life. Those hearts God sent to me and to whom He sent me who have given me the gift of trust and their confidence and affection. Many of these, I did not expect or see them coming. Maybe Aslan knew I needed to be surprised by joy. And I was. I still am. And I'm thankful for that.

Lest you think the quote that sports this entry has nothing to do with friends because friends are what one has and not what one is, I do beg to differ. There are miniscule but seismic changes in who I am due in part to the hearts of those who've come my way. Don't underestimate the power of your presence and influence in the people you interact with. They contain volumes and have undeniable impact on everyone that you meet.

Can you imagine how mind-boggling it would be to be hyper-aware of how each of us impact all the rest of us? How a word of encouragement, a hug of comfort, a text message of hello, a comment on an FB status - just these little nuances - can make someone feel less alone in this world? What a great opportunity we have today to make someone feel less alone.

So thank you for making me feel less alone. I can only hope that I serve your heart the same way in your journey.

(Photo credit: marcosHB)

No comments:

Blog Archive