"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Key Message

All this say yes more and say no less had prompted me months ago to accept a request to be interviewed for a book that will come out in September.

To be honest, I said yes because I was almost sure that I wouldn't be shortlisted by the editor. It's a book about vagabonds - people who live in a city they didn't grow up in, people who are passing through. A writer friend authored it and I thought I'd throw my support by expressing my willingness to be part of the project.

Until of course, the editor shortlisted me.

GULP!

I remember getting ready to meet my writer friend for the interview and wondering how I would come across. Would my story be interesting enough? How was my journey different from the others? And being in the business of communications, I couldn't help but wonder what the key message of my story is.

I was recently exchanging emails with my writer friend, sharing how petrified I was now that the book is finally getting launched and she wrote such a sweet note. She said I should own my story and that sometimes my life is the only gospel others will ever read.

And I got to thinking again about the key message of my story in the context of the book and I found myself listening to this song. And it hit me. There it is right there. God is with me. Just as He is with you. Just as He is with everyone of us.

Short. Succinct. Direct to the point. The best kind of key message. I'll take it!

No comments:

Blog Archive