"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Surrender

Please give me what I ask, dear Lord.
If You be glad about it,
But if You think it's not for me,
Please help me do without it. Amen.


Talk about no frills. I read this in a book of prayers for children. What is most striking about this is that it is a prayer for God's children. Of any age.

I love how simple it is. Countless times in my life, I utter a myriad version of this prayer, in different circumstances and life seasons. I appreciate the brevity of this one though. And it's cut-to-the-quick succinctness too.

The only thing about it is that it assumes one already knows what to ask for. Sometimes, I am stumped on that. Sometimes, I don't know what I want really. Or haven't thought about it enough to want something so unequivocally. Or know what I want, but don't need it with a fervor.

But if you find yourself wanting something so resolutely, with clarity and certainty, this prayer comes in handy. Feel free to use it. And know that I am envious of your undeniable, absolute knowing.

No comments:

Blog Archive