"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Friday, May 29, 2009

Pure Joy


"“I've learned that everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.” ~ Anonymous

In this season in my life of abject apathy towards exercising and intense disinterest towards any type of sweat-drenching physical exertion, the only activity I find myself missing is not running long distances, nor walking numerous miles, but climbing mountains.

The mountain on this shot is Mount Kinabalu in Sabah, Borneo. Eleven years ago, I welcomed the sunrise of my 28th birthday on top of this mountain. I'm so glad I did that. It took quite a lot of planning, but standing there on the peak, waiting for the sun to come up on my natal day, was worth all the logistical work.

I savored every minute of that trip. It was a time when I was fully present in the moment and wanted to be nowhere else in the world than where I was. Pure joy.

That, I miss.

(Photo credit: Agron)

2 comments:

bluggerbug said...

Wish I could climb mountains with you! Sigh.

Mayang said...

Maybe we can plan a day trek to Pinatubo next time you're in Manila!

Blog Archive