"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Permission


"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

You have to give other people permission first. So don't give them permission.

But you know what I've been struggling with lately? It is the realization that my challenge is not that I give others consent to make me feel small. It's that I don't need to, because I give myself permission to do that to myself.

Meister Eckhart says that “a human being has so many skins inside, covering the depths of the heart. We know so many things, but we don't know ourselves! Why, thirty or forty skins or hides, as thick and hard as an ox's or bear's, cover the soul. Go into your own ground and learn to know yourself there.”

And Jeanette Winterson says "I don’t know what your problem is but I am certain that there is a creative solution. It’s the YES, not, NO. Hidden, present. Only possible if the problem – and the suffering that goes with it – is not avoided."

I am Eustace again.

It's a good place to be in, I know. But it's not easy.

It's not easy.

(Photo credit: konaboy)

3 comments:

Babs said...

mayang,
you're too intelligent, that's why and maybe, you know you can do more, or be more.

give yourself a little credit naman. :)

hugs,
babs

Mayang said...

Hey Babs,

Thanks for writing in.

I guess I'm just noticing how much I mentally cut myself down to size. And noticing how often I do that is a sad realization for me.

But awareness is the first step. I'd like to think I am on a healing path from this constant self-sabotage.

I will make a conscious effort to give myself some credit - tama ka.

Hugs back,
Mayang

Babs said...

you should learn from me! wa-care! as in! :) juni, the grammar cop sometimes tells me, may mali daw sa post ko. and i tell him, care ko...
ha ha ha

Blog Archive