"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Big Word

"Love all, trust a few." ~ William Shakespeare

“We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone - but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy.” ~ Walter Anderson


In the past month, I've said something that I rarely ever utter to two different friends from two of my many circles.

"I trust you."

I cannot begin to tell you how precious that statement is to me - both as the person saying it and the one receiving it. Trust is my drug of choice and I am addicted to it. Probably because it gives so much meaning to my life and freedom in my relations.

Trust defines me and the relationships in which it lives gives significance to both people in it. It is a safe place where I not only am allowed by another to show myself, but I too must give myself permission to be, without restraint or remorse or condescension. It is exhilarating and potent and powerful. And I want more of that.

No comments:

Blog Archive