"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Minneapolis or Saint Paul?

Have you ever played either-or? You know, ask yourself to pick from only two choices. Like, would you rather be rich but unhappy than poor but joyful? Or my favorite, would you rather be fat and fit than thin and out-of-shape? :)

I know that life's not as simple as a game show that forces you to choose from only two options. And I know it's really over simplifying things to do this, that life's not black and white, and this thought pattern is pure stereotyping, but I get there sometimes.

Like, would I rather be beautiful and unfunny, or plain-looking but hilarious? Or gorgeous but boring over blend-with-the-walls ordinary but the life-of-the-party? I would choose the latter of these two any day! Of course I say that because I'd like to think I can repartee and keep my end of an animated conversation. And maybe it's because I genuinely like how I'm turning out, even though there are flaws and shortcomings that need to be worked on, sure. But on the whole, I'm turning out alright, me thinks. (Well, that's just me. I may be delusional too - that's definitely an option right there!)

And today, I thought of three men friends - one I worked with in my first job in Manila, the second one I met here in Singapore during my second year, and another a relatively new friend - who have all told me in very different ways, how they found me good company. And I am so moved by their gesture. Especially the first two men friends. One found me again through the Jack blog (See what an angel this boy is? I am convinced he is working on us all, I tell you.) then proceeded to write me an email telling me how he remembers how I always made him laugh and forget about the stress of work. The second one called my family's home number last October while I was there for a weekend (Accident? I think not!) and said he was reminiscing about his time in Singapore and remembered how much laughter we shared so he decided to check on me.

The third one I see often enough, although what amazes me about that one is the realization that I can still make new friends. Who knew!

So I guess being plain isn't a bad thing after all, heh? I'm so thankful God made me funny (and funny looking). It is such a privilege to be able to make people laugh. Besides, if you think about it, it's easier to get a face lift than to learn how to be funny. :)

(There I go again thinking in either-or! Aargh!)

No comments:

Blog Archive