"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Self Acceptance

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval." ~ Mark Twain

"You yourself, as much as any body in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection." ~ Buddha


Last night, I realized that I gained a bit of weight. Somewhere between Christmas and March, excess weight crept up at me unnoticed till lately when some of my clothes became kind of snug.

The Mayang of yesteryears would've totally berated herself. I'm talking major chastisement, coupled with disappointment and a dollop of renewed conviction to right the wrongs of my belly fat, my jiggly arms and my thunder thighs.

Well a strange thing happened last night. Right after I looked at my weight, I shrugged and said, well this is where I'm at. I'll see how I can eat better and healthier and see how much exercise I can incorporate in my life without losing myself. Then at bedtime when I was pondering on the five things I was grateful for that day, I thought of my body and a deep sense of gratitude overwhelmed me. I praised God for my body. Because it is healthy. Because it is a miracle. Because it continues to serve me. Because this body is what God gave me, and that alone makes it magnificent.

Self acceptance. It's a good place to live.

No comments:

Blog Archive