"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Saturday, March 14, 2009

More Beautiful

There's a song I fell in love with back in December when I first heard it. It's a song best sung on Good Friday and it's a valiant attempt at explaining the irony of the crucifixion. It's the answer to the question "Why is it called Good Friday when such a bad thing happened on that day?"

I had sincerely and whole-heartedly wanted our choir to sing this on Good Friday. But it looks like it will remain a quiet time song for me. I don't love the song less for not being able to share it with the congregation. It remains precious to me. At least I tried, and for now, that will suffice. It doesn't make the song less of a serenade to Christ and Father God just because I sing it in the upper room at Lauds. So I keep singing as I keep my gaze on the Cross this Lent and always.

More Beautiful

A brutal cross, A gentle man
A broken heart beneath my sins
A crown of thorns where mercy bled
Reviled and scorned, received my debts

Laid upon love's altar
Offering of the Father
For His own

Nothing could be more beautiful, more beautiful to me
Nothing could be more beautiful, more beautiful to me

A body taken from the wood
The heavens weeping for the world
An empty tomb
A stone rolled back
A blinding light to pierce the black
The hopeless separation
Restored to sweet salvation
By Your wounds

Nothing could be more beautiful, more beautiful to me
Nothing could more so beautiful, more beautiful to me

In dying You destroyed my death
In rising You gave me life again
Your sacrifice
My saving grace
My everything

Nothing could be more beautiful, more beautiful to me
Nothing could more so beautiful, more beautiful to me

~ Music and lyrics by Sarah Hart

No comments:

Blog Archive