"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Tree is All Set Up!


“The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree is the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." ~ Burton Hills

As is my yearly ritual, I set up my Christmas tree around a month before I head home for the holidays. I set it up this rainy, thundering evening, listening to Christmas carols while I hang my many miniscule, almost liliputian ornaments on the tree.

I love, love, love just being in my flat when the tree is up. I spend a lot of time just gazing at it, praying for family which remains one of the best gifts God has given me, and friends who've remained in the room with me. Who are not 'the world.' Who are not 'the others.' My people. Sigh!

It's all so pretty, these earth-friendly, star-shaped fairy lights on my tree and all my angel ornaments twirling or swaying with the wind. Having said that, I know my tree wouldn't win any contest. I'm afraid it's not ostentatious-looking enough. But this tree has history. This is the tree I lugged back from the mall with my former roommate Jet. This is tree with which I celebrated the Season with Pershkins and Anne and Rocky. This tree and our little baubles on it were the only ones I asked for when it was time to go our separate ways.

This tree has meaning for me because it reminds me of all those oh-so-special people with whom I had shared my Christmas past. Looking at it gives me the one time in the year I think about them, and if we're no longer in touch, wonder where they are. It gives me pause and I sigh in wordless thanks for having encountered them. And the tree always, always makes me look forward to celebrating Christ's birth with my family.

(Photo credit: Fractal Artist)

2 comments:

bluggerbug said...

Ours is already set up as well. The pine scent that permeates throughout our flat just makes it all the more Christmas-y:)

Belated happy anniversary pala to Mr. and Mrs. Rey Tatoy!

Mayang said...

I can imagine coming into your flat and being besieged by the warm welcoming whiff of pine!

I will let the loony folks know you of your greeting!

So glad you're on FB by the way. You don't seem so far away and I get to connect with your family din - how cool is that?!

Blog Archive