"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Thursday, October 16, 2008

The City of Smiles


I am going home today to Bacolod, the City of Smiles. And this weekend is our annual Masskara festival.

Such a surreal backdrop for a funeral. But in some ways, it makes sense.

Filipinos have a weird rollercoaster ride when it comes to grieving. We cry then laugh then cry again. It is like in the midst of our sorrows, we find something still worthy of mirth. Laughter, not in defiance, but in acceptance that this too, that all this, is part of Life. In grief, sadness and joy intermingle. It isn't one or the other. It is the same.

It is the season for both. And a time to be with family.

(Photo credit: Jojie Alcantara)

2 comments:

bluggerbug said...

I'm deeply saddened to hear of your loss.

Please extend my condolences to Mama and to the rest of your family.

May your fond memories of him bring you comfort and strength during this difficult time.

Mayang said...

Thanks Bluggerbug. I know you understand.

Blog Archive