"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Saturday, September 06, 2008

You are a Gift

"What do you have that you did not receive? And if you received it, why do you boast as if it were not a gift?" ~ 1 Corinthians 4:7

Thanks for being in my life.

I just wanted to say that off the bat.

Last week when I was in Hong Kong, I met up with The Not Others for breakfast and on the train ride back to the Happiest Hotel on Earth, I couldn't help but ponder on how seemingly coincidental that we'd be in the same city at the same time. That's happened twice already with us - the first time in LA - and it takes every effort for me not to look surprised because a part of me knows that Aslan's showing off.

Last month, I was on FB where a friend uploaded shots of her circle of friends. I am on the whole, quite happy to be a fringe friend, but while I was clicking the slideshow, gazing at the smiling faces of these people who are so much in each other's lives, I couldn't help but feel sad that I don't have a tribe like that. Yes, I do have friends - good friends, nay great friends that I keep, but I realize they are mostly one-on-one friendships, of a circle of three. When our choir had a recollection last month, I told King King that we had that kind of community before in our chorale. I am and will forever be grateful for that. But for right now, I do not have that and I guess that saddens me at times.

So however you fit into my life - a faraway friend with the occasional sms or email, or friends who keep in touch via blogs, or someone closer geographically, or if you're a friend of a friend who checks the blog and keeps this one our secret - I want to say thanks for being in my life. God bless your smiling face. I am praying for you this morning.

(Photo credit: Red~Star)

No comments:

Blog Archive