"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Brothers and Sisters

As I write this, my Mama is on a plane to Bacolod to visit her brother Tito R who was brought to the hospital Friday night. I got to speak with her yesterday morning, and I know she wouldn't go home if....

Anyway.

Tito R's been in my thoughts and prayers a good chunk of this weekend. My Mama's brothers have always been my favorite uncles, rightly or wrongly. I went home to Bacolod last Christmas because I wanted to spend some time with Tito R and Tita H. I can't say I'm close to their only child, but we're ok. He used to harass me when we were young, he and my bum brother. Which is why I love my brother Noy the most. If he ever harassed me when we were kids, I don't remember. Apparently, not being able to recall childhood altercations can give a family member brownie points.

So Mama's off to Bacolod, no longer feeling like mother, or aunt, or cousin or grandmother. Just sister. She is all sister now. And I can't help but think of what she's feeling too.

My eyes have been leaky faucets and when Piglet and I went to Mass yesterday, I could almost feel God consoling me.

"The Lord is near to all who call on Him."
"My ways are not your ways."
"For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. I am hard-pressed between the two."

I pray for Tito R's healing. This is my prayer. And I desire for him a life of living, not of waiting to die. Because waiting to die is a death in itself.

Please. Pray with me.

No comments:

Blog Archive