"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Zipcode

"I've come to the conclusion that there are certain friends in you life that they're just always your friends and you have to accept it. You see them, you don't really want to see them. You don't call them. They call you. You don't call back. They call again. The only way to get through talking with people that you don't really have anything in common with is to pretend you're hosting your own little talk show. This is what I do. You pretend there's a little desk around you. The only problem with this is there's no way you can say, "Hey, it's been great having you on the show. We're out of time." ~ Jerry Seinfeld

Taking Jerry Seinfeld's cue, I host my own little talk show a number of times a year, I must admit. I'm on a work trip and I got a call from one of these types of friends - the kind I am ashamed to tell you that I am more than willing to let go of in a heartbeat - asking for a meet up. I meet up with this person every year (with a group of friends, which I felt was the only way I could stand it), but these times don't fill me giddy with excitement. It feels more like a chore only because of this one person.

Now I have to do a meet up without any back up! Crap, crap, crap! I was complaining about this to Piglet ad nauseum and I still can't get it out of my system. I don't think my deep breathing exercises are going to cut it this time.

Crap. I'd much rather run a marathon (and that's saying a lot after my long run last Monday!)

No comments:

Blog Archive