"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, August 17, 2008

I Thirst


“There can be no vulnerability without risk; there can be no community without vulnerability; there can be no peace, and ultimately no life, without community." ~ M. Scott Peck

We had our full-day recollection for our choir yesterday with Sister B from the Cenacle Sisters. Nine souls from the choir gathered together in the Upper Room singing songs and listening to one another with open hearts.

Within the safe enclosure and embrace of these souls, we poured out what mattered to each of us. Where we were and where we struggled. In the spirit of the recollection, I couldn't help but express my thirst for genuine community. It is my drug. If only it were as easy as buying it from a peddler at the corner, or going to the pharmacist, or buying it online.

If only I could achieve it alone. Alas, God plants in your heart something you can't achieve all by your lonesome. It is like realizing again that we are all a part of each other. And to borrow from a song from the Braveheart selection, we are all part of the Human Heart.

Sister B said after the last sharing for the day before we headed off to Mass that it takes more than sharing song sheets and music pieces to form a community. I have been blessed with being part of other communities in the past to know without a doubt, with a certainty that seeps through every bone and sinew in my body, the truth of that statement. It takes so much more than that.

I come to the recollection, not simply to recollect, but to refresh my spirit. To give my commitment to this again. Like a vow I had promised, I renew. But I cannot do it alone. If only I could, but that is not the lesson for me here. I know that it's not.

So I sit. Listening. Yearning. Hoping. Praying. Faithful.

(Photo credit: silip lente)

No comments:

Blog Archive