"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Friday, August 15, 2008

Breaking into Song

When I meet my Lord in the morning, sometimes, seemingly out of nowhere, in the middle of my prayers, a song brims up to the top and I take it that I am to sing it.

This Jesuit song came up out of the recesses of my murky psyche. And while I was singing it, it clicked that this song is exactly where I am right now. I find my prayer requests were changed into thanksgiving simply because God works. God works for the good of those who love Him.

Dearest Lord,
Teach me to be generous
Teach me to serve You as I should
To give and not to count the cost
To fight and not to heed the wounds
To toil and not to seek for rest
To labor and ask not for rewards
Save that of knowing
That I do
Your most holy will

No comments:

Blog Archive