"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, July 27, 2008

What do you want?

What do you ask for?

Last night, the visiting priest at Mass in his homily was talking about 1 Kings:3-5 where God in a dream asks Solomon "Ask what I should give you."

And Solomon asks for an understanding heart and a mind that can discern between good and evil so that he may govern God's people.

And God, pleased with Solomon's request, replies that He will give Solomon not only what he unselfishly asked for but every good benefit that a selfish man may have wanted to ask: riches and honor all his life.

I found myself humbled, sitting there in the choir that feels like home to me, to realize once again that God asks me - and you - that question too.

"What do you want?" He asks of you today.

What would your answer be?

No comments:

Blog Archive