"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Friends You Keep

I had dinner with a couple of friends plus Piglet last night at this quaint, authentic Italian resto that we booked three weeks in advance (Even that early, we could only get a table at 8.30pm). Gastronomically satisfying and of course I'm the only one who ordered pizza, but I was so ok with that because it's big enough to share and shared food always tastes tons better.

Anyhoo, I invariably turned snappish and snarky on one of my friends, which got me writing a profuse apology this morning for being an ass last night. I'm off to my long run in a bit (You'd be so proud - I actually got to running three 4km runs on the tread this past week), but I was thinking about this 'I'm sorry' note that I just sent and I couldn't help but think about the friends I keep, and the friends who keep me.

If you've ever had the painful privilege of being on the receiving end of my snarky and still consider me your friend, thank you so very much for choosing to keep me. I can't imagine it's easy, and there are days it may not seem worth your time and effort. But if you get there - that point where you still decide to keep me - God bless you.

No comments:

Blog Archive