"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Choose to be Remarkable


“The one thing you can’t take away from me is the way I choose to respond to what you do to me. The last of one’s freedoms is to choose one's attitude in any given circumstance.” ~ Victor Frankl

A confluence of seemingly random events in the past two days have made me come to a decision.

Firstly, this one:

"Choose to be remarkable."

That was the sentence that popped out of the document I was reading while waiting for the bus to work the other day. That really spoke to me. I had to stop and take a mental respite from the reading and stew on that mind-boggling sentence.

"Choose to be remarkable."

Can you imagine what a priceless gift we have in the fact that we get to choose? We get to choose, people! We get to choose what kind of hour, day, week, life we live. Despite everything that is and is not in your life, you get to choose.

Which made me recall the book that changed my life when I was 14 years old by Victor Frankl who's quoted in this entry. Maybe Aslan wanted to remind me. Sneaky.

Secondly, an email from a couple of friends - you know who you both are - who offered to get me an ipod. I am so moved by this gesture, you know. Because if this year is teaching me anything, it is that I live in the land of grace and your thoughtfulness made me realize again that He sends me angels, even in the seemingly little things that you'd think God wouldn't be bothered with.

Thirdly, a clean bill of health from the doctor, except for my cholesterol (rats), but on the whole, Mayang is in good shape.

Fourthly, a work dinner last night at East Coast Park.

Which brings me to the decision.

I've decided to run the full marathon this December 2. We all get to choose how we want to live remarkably, and I choose to have this be part of how I define my remarkable life.

And given that my one excuse not to go on the treadmill is because I don't do that without music, these two hearts offer me an ipod! I hope you two recognize the poetry of how this offer comes full circle for me, for the three of us and how the reason we are bonded for life continues to bless us. This is the sweetest thing for me in all this.

The go-ahead from the doctor yesterday morning gave me one less excuse.

Then, just to make sure I get the point, Aslan sends me to a work dinner at East Coast Park on a windy, cloudless evening. This place where I used to go for my training runs for the half. When I got there, all these emotions came rushing in. All the whys came back. And it all made sense again. After a long, long while, it made sense again to run.

Pray that I run a good race. And fill the ipod with his favorite songs.

(Photo credit: virginiaz)

No comments:

Blog Archive