"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stranger Than Fiction


"It's a book about a man who doesn't know he's about to die. And then dies. But if a man does know he's about to die and dies anyway, dies willingly, knowing that he could stop it, then - I mean, isn't that the type of man you'd want to keep alive?" ~ the character of Karen Eiffel portrayed by Emma Thompson in "Stranger Than Fiction"

I am extremely blessed, I realize.

There are many reasons to feel blessed, but today I'd like to talk about one particular reason.

If you are fortunate enough to have friends who are kin to your soul and the inner seasons of your life - even without constant contact - then you'll know the reason I feel thankful today.

If you were to ask me why I started this blog, you would hear me reply that it was to open up my heart. That is still the case, but it is also to keep my closest friends knowing what's inside my mind and psyche, what's up with my life, how my heart is doing. It makes me feel connected to them. These are the few people whom I invited into Mayangland. These hearts are my sanctuary. They are my cheering squad. Their friendships are timeless, unlimited and unencumbered. They may not always understand me, but they welcome me nonetheless.

I had just watched "Stranger Than Fiction" which my friend Ros encouraged me to catch many moons ago. And just when I was wondering how my friend was doing in Oz, I was channel surfing and 'accidentally' came upon the movie. And really, Ros knows me in a way no one else does. This friend who introduced me to "Dogma," who was as fanatical about "Rent" as I was even before every Dick and Harry knew the words to the songs, of course he knew I would like, nay, love this film.

Thank you Ros. Not just because the film moved me so. But for knowing that it would. You are a star, sweetie. Stay safe. Keep warm. Smile often.

"As Harold took a bite of Bavarian sugar cookie, he finally felt as if everything was going to be ok. Sometimes, when we lose ourselves in fear and despair, in routine and constancy, in hopelessness and tragedy, we can thank God for Bavarian sugar cookies. And, fortunately, when there aren't any cookies, we can still find reassurance in a familiar hand on our skin, or a kind and loving gesture, or subtle encouragement, or a loving embrace, or an offer of comfort, not to mention hospital gurneys and nose plugs, an uneaten Danish, soft-spoken secrets, and Fender Stratocasters, and maybe the occasional piece of fiction. And we must remember that all these things, the nuances, the anomalies, the subtleties, which we assume only accessorize our days, are effective for a much larger and nobler cause. They are here to save our lives. I know the idea seems strange, but I also know that it just so happens to be true. And, so it was, a wristwatch saved Harold Crick." ~ the character of Karen Eiffel

(Photo credit: ginacrat)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mayang! Glad that you liked the movie. I'm super blessed and privileged to have you as my friend!
Life is good in Oz. But I miss great friends like you..
Hope you're doing good too.
-Ros

Mayang said...

I'm glad to hear life's treating you well! Hope to visit you one of these days. Still adding up the frequent flyer miles! Keep you posted! :)

Servidores said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Blog Archive