"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Winning the Lottery

Every year, a couple of colleagues ans I buy tickets to the Lunar New Year Hong Bao. This year the grand prize was S$10 million. As is always the case, J and N bought more tickets for the draw than I. I always just buy three tickets. That's it.

Every year these two friends of mine ask the same question:
N: Would you share with us your winnings?
J: Would you leave your job if you won?

Every year I answer yes to the first question, and no to the second one.

Except this year.

I actually answered yes to J's question this year. And I explained that it wasn't because I didn't enjoy my job (although I had a really tough week last week), but having my parents go through their own health challenges, I would like to spend more time with them.

The day of the draw, we all came three numbers close and one number short. We shared a cab going home (we live relatively close to each other. In fact, I can easily walk to J's place) and N said in the cab: "What a shame Mayang didn't win. She would've shared her winnings with us."

It was heartening to know that she saw such integrity in me. I would've shared it too, you know. There are many things I aspire to be in this life, and one of them is to be a woman of her word. It was such a compliment to have a friend say that about me. Now that's its own kind of winning the lottery.

No comments:

Blog Archive