"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

True Story

A couple of weeks ago, I was walking back to the office from lunch with two of my close friends from work when I saw a $2 bill on the ground. I picked it up and placed it in my wallet with a giddy smile on my face while commenting to my friends about it. Actually, it was more gushing than commenting. Gambling girls that they are, they told me I should go buy a lottery ticket with it.

A week later, I was in a cab after my favorite weekly activity of grocery shopping, when I decided that it made much more sense to give the $2 away. So I gave it as a tip to my elderly taxi driver, who was profuse in his thanks, which really – in the whole scheme of things – was worth more tons more than the $2.

Today, a friend called up and told me that $200 was deposited in my bank account because of my 'situation' and that there were no ifs, ands or buts about it. It was mine to use in whatever way I choose. It was a gesture I found sweet and thoughtful because for someone like me, a self-sufficient individual who has taken care of herself from the time she left school, it felt good to surrender the reigns sometimes, and allow someone take care of me for a bit.

Naturally, the $200 will go to where it is needed now. Happily and without hesitation, I pass it on. No regrets. God provides. His love is abundant, surprising and serendipitous.

(Photo credit: F-77)

No comments:

Blog Archive