"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Love in the Time of Cataracts and Age-Related Macular Degeneration

We were finally in our own hospital room and Mama needs to pee.

"Help me with the dextrose," she asks me. I take it out from its hook and help her off her bed. The floor is so very cold.

Pa is beside her. She holds his arm. He helps her to the toilet.

I stand there, looking at these two loonies, my parents. I can't help but ponder that a year ago, almost to the day, she was helping him to the toilet. This week, they've reversed roles.

Marriage. It's what the two people in it, make of it, create from it.

1 comment:

benjiedlp said...

true love - in the time of bedpans and hospital gowns.

glad all is well. all our love, chim.

zippy

Blog Archive