"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Retrospective

I had Christmas dinner with a couple of friends last Friday - two people who've stood the test of time with me. I've known each of them for more than a decade and when I step back I find myself utterly grateful for these two hearts. It brings home the point that God sends angels. We get together at least four times a year and definitely every December before my yearly trip home and we get to recounting the year that was and sharing our hopes for the year ahead. I can't begin to tell you how therapeutic it is to do this.

Which brings me two Christmases back when I was invited to this dinner party at an old friend's lovely home and amid the candlelight and Christmas carols and scrumptious food and way too much vino, we looked back at our year and there was genuine connection as we remembered the highlights of the past twelve months. We didn't just share the times when life was good, but more importantly we shared the moments which defined or redefined our perspectives - some of which were tragic, melancholy and sometimes even morbid. I guess when you really ponder on the things that resonate with you, you can't predict what will come up.

So how was 2007 for you?

No comments:

Blog Archive