"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Friday, December 07, 2007

Presence

I'm just getting back into the groove of work after a two-day intensive workshop on leading with presence from a theatre group based in Boston. I feel so drained, but I guess that makes sense, it was a small group and we were all in the moment for the duration of the workshop, taking the stage, getting into character, throwing our voices (or not), using our bodies in congruence with our voices to best deliver the message, centering ourselves. Phew! I have to say, that was my kind of fun.

I couldn't help but remember my Lola Ming Ming (Grandma Ming Ming) during the workshop. A colleague from India mentioned to me that I shouldn't lose the positive presence I bring into a room, and the head of our business in China actually went as far as to say I radiated, and seriously, I had always thought I was just really loud. These comments invariably brought me back to an encounter with my Lola Ming many years ago.

One day after school - I think I was in the sixth grade - I come home in my usual way and as I enter our front door my Lola Ming visiting our family from the province welcome me in a warm embrace, kiss me on the cheek and greet me with a huge smile. Then she looked me in the eye and said "I always know when you enter a room. There is always a happy energy."

I miss you, Lola Ming. You gave me such a wonderful compliment. I thank you for that.

No comments:

Blog Archive