"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Ya-Ya Sisterhood


I've been in the media industry for a while now and that has given me a number of business contacts and a small group of close friends. One of these small groups is my own Ya-Ya Sisterhood.

We are four women and interestingly enough I'm the youngest in this circle. Two of them are on top of their game, leading teams and media conglomerates. The other one is blazing her own trail by setting up her own company distributing a new platform on which to consume media content.

I am extremely proud of these friends. They have had their share of ups and downs. Retrenchments and getting back in the game. Resting and rising. They are indeed comeback kids, but with a vengeance. And a whole lot of attitude.

We haven't been together in a room for years, although three of us are based in the same city and manage to catch up once every three months if we're lucky. I have managed to see each one of them one-on-one this year and I can't help but notice that we're all in different chapters of our lives. But we're still plugged in to the Sisterhood. We still do care for each other.

I find that quite reassuring. In the sibling heirarcy, I am the older sister, and a part of me yearns to have older sisters. Someone I can run to when I have questions, or when I'm confused. And Aslan in His infinite and terribly poetic wisdom, sent me these sisters. These Little Women who, in many countless ways, define what is strength to me.

It is good to know that I have my back covered. And nothing protects and nurtures and reprimands as ferociously as the Sisterhood. Thank God for that!

(Photo credit: Flipped Out)

No comments:

Blog Archive