"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Machu Picchu


"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Do you have friends whom you don't see very often but have this inexplainable connection that remains intact regardless of time and space? Something similar to entanglement? I have a few of those and one of them is P.

P is tons of fun. Times we've shared include talking till late at night when we shared a room in a resort in Indonesia, P performing reiki healing on me while we sunbathed, P and I sighing our praises for the wise and uplifting poetry of Kahlil Gilbran, P coming over for coffee in my flat bearing fruit-looking flowers and P bringing me herbal soup one cold Winter night in Hong Kong when I was sick as a dog.

P used to work at National Geographic Channel and had the opportunity to visit many parts of the world and meet real Earth heroes such as Jane Goodall. She asked me once if I wanted to accompany her to Peru to visit Machu Picchu and I didn't get to go because life got in the way yet again. I don't know if she ever got to go. She now lives in San Francisco and plans to go on a new adventure called marriage later this year.

I stumbled upon this photo of Machu Picchu recently and recalled that invitation from P. This in turn got me pondering: How many of these have I missed? And I'm not simply referring to adventures that involve traveling to ancient ruins. Any kind of adventure that takes you out of yourself into something bigger than yourself. The type that leaves you in awe of how expansive life is and humbled by how we seem so small and yet we are enormously significant. More significant than we can ever imagine ourselves to be.

I don't want to miss living my life. Don't let it pass me by. Let it not happen while I was distracted. Teach me to pay attention.

(Photo credit: -Bandido-)

No comments:

Blog Archive