"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Talk the talk, Walk the walk

A few weeks back I was in with some friends, including one friend with whom I have a mostly one-way friendship - meaning she confides in me, but it doesn't necessarily go the other way around.

She was conversing with a group of us and segued into describing herself as funny, generous and tender-hearted. I won't clutter the point with how we got to this bend of the conversation, but suffice it to say I had to pretend to look convinced because for the life of me, the adjectives she chose to describe herself didn't quite match with how I viewed her. (Not that she's a witch or anything, that list just wasn't what I would've used to describe her, is all.)

Which gets me to the point of my ponder: does the Mayang I know myself to be coincide with the Mayang other people know me to be? How I think I am and how others think of me - how much discrepancy is there between the two?

I can only hope that these two circles overlap somewhat. Not totally, that's for sure, but at least for the most part, you know?

(Photo credit: BigBlonde)

2 comments:

BLAZER PROPHET said...

In general, we see ourselves differently than others see us. That's because people cannot see what we feel. We believe what we feel is who we are, but that is usually not the case when projecting ourselves to others. I feel like a romantic. Yet my wife doesn't think I'm romantic because that's not who I am on the 'outside'...

Mayang said...

I so get what you mean!

It's like this blog - it is who I am but for those who know me who get to read it find a different dimension of who I am.

Thanks for visiting and writing in, Blazer Prophet!

Blog Archive