"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Silence

It's been recently brought to my attention that I am one talkative person (read: noisy. Really noisy).

This is clearly not news to me. But it has gotten me thinking that I may have irked friends with my mile-a-minute verbal spewing. Even worse, I am appalled to think that my constant word vomit has no semblance to substance whatsoever (which I fear is the case).

And yet, I got an invite to a dinner a couple of weeks back because they 'needed' my noise. That's probably because these friends haven't seen me in yonks so they have more than fully recovered from their last Mayang encounter.

There are also a couple of friends who've decided to hold a party in my honor (go figure) and I reckon they would be flabbergasted if I wasn't my usual talkative self when this do finally takes place in July. Between you and me, these are party people and I think they're just using me as an excuse to booze, but sucker that I am, I'm walking straight into it even if I hardly ever drink.

On the other hand, for those friends of mine who see me fairly regularly, I am becoming more and more convinced that it's high time for a gift from me: the presence of my absence. Because I know I can't give them the gift of my silent presence, my absence will have to do.

I guess, rightly or wrongly, I am what I am. No excuses. No regrets.

(Photo credit: donalduck06)

No comments:

Blog Archive