"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Friday, May 18, 2007

Capisce?


"Action speaks louder than words." ~ Anonymous

It is almost common knowledge that verbal communication is only a tenth (a smidge!) of how we send out messages into the world. Which isn't the least bit surprising.

But beyond body language, I noticed that there's also another aspect to non-verbal messaging. Let's call it intentional omission. It's when something is being addressed by not addressing it. It is when inaction is an action in itself. When silence speak volumes.

I see that a lot lately. I saw that in yesterday's meeting.

You know when as Catholics (if you're Catholic) we collectively confess at Mass and say "I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do?" Well in my feeble mind, it's the same with communicating. What you intentionally omit to say, what you purposefully decide to keep mum about, what you choose to decline to disclose, is still communicating something about you.

Feel free to argue with me on this. Join the discourse.

Or not.

(Photo credit: Mr Huevo)

No comments:

Blog Archive