"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Monday, May 28, 2007

Buzzword Buzzkill

When a doctor tells you you have "idiopathic cardiomyopathy", it's her way of saying go see another doctor. All that really means is that she knows there's something wrong with your heart but has no diddly clue what it is!

I also read this article about a doctor who experimented with "non-exercise activity thermogenesis." What's that, you ask? It's simply fidgeting. Why couldn't he just call it that, I don't know.

It's not just in medicine that there's a cornucopia of these buzzwords. I reckon all industries and occupations have them. I wonder though why we try to complicate what we mean when there are ways to communicate briefly and directly with purpose and clarity.

Or maybe we have a verbal gymnast in all of us. Worse still, we become one and are hardly aware that regular people don't understand what we're saying anymore.

No comments:

Blog Archive