"I am large. I contain multitudes." - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Smoke and Mirrors

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference. ~ Reinhold Niebuhr

Tell me, how do you deal with a boss who's passive-aggressive?

I report to two bosses in two different countries overseeing two different purviews. On the one hand, there's decisiveness, transparency, clear direction. On the other hand, there's keeping you in the dark, not giving context, not providing feedback.

Most of the time, I can deal with it. There are a few days in a year when it gets to me. I'm thankful it's not that often. I'm hopeful that it'll remain that way. I'm optimistic that it'll even lessen.

And eventhough I am overwhelmed when I think about the enormity of what our team plans to accomplish this year, the good thing about that is that it requires me to perform actual work, which I always prefer over the politics that comes with the package that is my job.

There's this phrase that is said by the Eucharistic Celebrant in the Catholic Mass where he implores God to save us from needless anxiety. I like that. It means that anxiety is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, if you're a professional procastinator like me, anxiety is the antidote to jump-starting the work. That phrase simply emphasizes that it is the needless kind of anxiety, the senseless worry, the self-created stress, that we should avoid.

And that is exactly what I am determined to do in this life. Thank You Lord for helping me do that.

(Photo credit: maestropastelero)

No comments:

Blog Archive